Sunday, February 13, 2011

Four Years

Yesterday Zak and I celebrated being a couple for 4 years. It's strange to think how quickly the time has gone, we certainly don't feel four years older or different. But so much has changed and happened in those years. To celebrate, we both worked the closing shifts at work, hooray! But on our lunch break, we went to the restaurant that's in the mall parking lot, called Sangria. It was a cute little place with really neat wood and leaf decor. It was basically how I'd decorate my porch, with vines and lights. Anyways, it was nice. And affordable, and surprisingly very good. There was lots to choose from, and I thought I read that the cuisine was like Peruvian fusion? Well, Zak had a delicious steak with some fabulous sauce and...plantains? It was amazing. I had a breaded chicken cutlet over spinach basil pasta. I had my leftovers for dinner tonight. So that as a nice way to celebrate, and it kind of counts for Valentine's Day, since Zak has to work.

Last year for our anniversary, we went to that wonderful concert on campus with a genius pianist playing one of my favorite pieces by Rachmaninov. Then we had dinner in Idaho Falls. While it was a nice night, even though I forgot our leftovers, I have to say I really enjoyed this year's celebration. The weather was better and we didn't have to drive half an hour to get to dinner! But last year we had the top tier of our wedding cake, which was nice. It was nice to celebrate a little, even though our new anniversary is in August.

Two years ago, we got engaged. It was a Thursday, because I had to go to my stupid art seminar, and I dragged Zak along with me. Beforehand, I surprised him with his mom's recipe of chicken pot pie, his favorite. After we ditched out of the seminar early, he surprised me by proposing in "our" building on campus, by the famous poster of the elephant periodic table. That was a wonderful night, and even though I suspected the proposal, it still caught me by surprise. I think we hardly slept that night.

Three years ago, Zak was working in Connecticut and I was at school. It was a crappy winter and although I had great roommates, being all by myself for our first anniversary and Valentine's was hard. But Zak found a way to make it better. I remember coming home from a particularly grueling drawing class, feeling hopelessly depressed and frustrated at my lack of artistic talent. It was freezing and there was just so much snow and I was tired and hungry...but I remember coming home and my roommates were all excited and giggling as I saw the beautiful bouquet of red roses Zak had ordered online for me. I pretty much lost it and we spent the evening on the phone. I had sent him a box with homemade candies and chocolates and all kinds of cute things, and he sent me a cute little box as well. So that made our separation less difficult.

Four years ago we became a couple. I had to ask him, since he wasn't sure that I liked him in that way. Well, he was wrong. And yeah, two days later it was Valentine's, but it really wasn't that awkward. I do remember my roommates being mad at me for getting a boyfriend right before Valentine's, and they wouldn't let me come to some Singles Only party or whatever, but I didn't care. Zak wrote me a sweet song and played it on his guitar, in the freezing cold. It was a great night.

I'm so glad to have such a fun, smart, wonderful guy in my life who plays with me and pampers me with pretty things. He is a great husband and friend and I am happy to be his other half. :)

No comments: