Saturday, February 26, 2011

Date Night!

We have just had the crummiest week, weather-wise. Snow and snow and snow and ice and freezing cold and snow. Oh, and snow is in the forecast for the next week or two. Apparently, the end of February is typically like this: stupid and deceiving. Here we were, getting excited for spring, what with the weather being sunny, clear and in the 50s almost every day. But no.

So yesterday we decided to have a Date Night, since we rarely do that, especially with our crazy schedules. We needed a break from being inside and ventured out into the cold Idaho weather. We are definitely thankful to not be walking around in such awful cold, like the 'good old days' in Rexburg.

We picked the place we went to for our anniversary/Valentine's Day dinner a few weeks back: Sangria Grille. This time we didn't have to worry about being back for work, so we were able to enjoy ourselves. And, randomly, we were seated at the table we had previously dined at. Next time, I guess we have to demand 'our' table. I noticed there were sweet corn tamale cakes on the menu for an appetizer, and asked Zak if it'd be alright to get them. I have something of an obsession with the Cheesecake Factory's sweet corn tamale cakes. All other appetizers fail in comparison, in my opinion. So we got them and boy, were they a good choice. The cakes were a little bigger and denser than I expected, but every bit delicious. [Side note: I found a recipe for them that I guess is a copy-cat version of the C.F.'s dish, and I am excited to try it. Will write a review with the recipe when I try it.]

Last time we ate there, Zak got this amazing skirt steak with fried bananas, that was just incredible. I could not resist and opted to get it this time. It did not disappoint. I normally don't order steak, I think the last time I got it at a restaurant was over a year ago, but I made the right decision this time. I couldn't eat it all (darn!), so I plan on having it for leftovers later today. Zak debated between a few options and finally chose to order the half-rack of ribs. He hasn't really had experience with such an order, so I walked him through it. My brother Kenny is like a ribs
connoisseur, so I have plenty of knowledge about them. The ribs were very tender and had just the right amount of sauce. We were both too full to try for dessert, but that was just fine with us.

We quickly grabbed some groceries (and candy) from Winco and headed to the movie theater. There weren't a lot of options to choose from, but The King's Speech with Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush was playing, and I persuaded Zak to go see that with me. I had heard rave reviews about it, and I love Colin Firth (duh), so I knew it'd be good. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and thought it was just beautiful to watch. It was a bit too slow for Zak's taste, but he appreciated it as a good film and that I liked it. I was just happy that he came with me and had a good time being with me.

We came home and quickly ran inside to escape the clear, cold -9 degree air and snuggled up in blankets and turned on the t.v. It was so nice to go out and do something other than be at work or getting groceries! Of course, no pictures because I ran out of the house without the camera! Oh well, maybe next time!

No comments: