Thursday, February 17, 2011

Belated Valentine's Day Post



I know this is a week late, but I still wanted to write it.

Our Valentine's Day

I woke up early last Monday and starting work on breakfast. Since Zak didn't have to go in until 1, I thought we could have a nice, leisurely breakfast together. I started frying up bacon (splurge, yes), and cutting up strawberries (splurge number two, couldn't say no) and then got to the crepes. As I was about to get Zak up and start making them, I decided that I should make them pink. My family has a history of adding food dye to many holiday meals. Well, initially it started out as you know, green milk for St. Patrick's Day or pastel colored something for Easter. But then it got weirder and weirder and there have been reports of purple tuna sandwiches my father has made for Jenna. So I am just used to that and thought it would be fun. It was fun and breakfast was delicious. Especially considering the fact that strawberries, bananas and nutella make the ultimate crepe. Perfect.

Zak went into work at 1, at which point, I cleaned up a bit. For his gift, I got him some neat posters that I thought he'd like. And I had the cute idea of putting them up along the kitchen/dining room wall while he was at work, and taking down the previous pictures I had put up when we moved in. After that, I lazed around for a bit, got all pretty, and then started in on dinner. We decided on salmon, and the package for it had a recipe for honey-mustard sauce that I thought would be good. Except that the salmon was supposed to be broiled and the skin was still on half of it, so needless to say, I was a bit freaked out that it wouldn't work out right. The potatoes and broccoli were fine, but I was most worried about the fish, because I've only cooked fish like, one way before: on top of the stove, not in it.

Well, once Zak came home, we had a lovely candlelight dinner, on our traditional heart plates I've had for a few years. The fish was great, as was everything else. For dessert I tried a recipe that was like simplified bananas foster. It was essentially bananas caramelized in butter and brown sugar, drizzled with caramel sauce and topped with coconut flavored whipped cream. It was delicious but so, so rich. It was like, a once a year kind of dessert.

Zak got me a cute plush talking doll from Hallmark (Yoyo, of Hoops & Yoyo farme. They are brilliant). And this awesome print from the comic I love. It's called Extra Ordinary Comics, and it's just the cutest comic ever. I really love it. So I was thrilled, and put the print over the hamster cage so I can admire it all the day long. So we had a great Valentine's Day together, despite it being awful and snowy outside and Zak having to work. :)

all three posters

the print Zak got me, 'SPACE SHARK'

this is Yoyo :)

1 comment:

Laurel said...

Yum, those crepes sound great, and everything else sounds amazing too! You must be one incredible cook! And Yoyo looks like he would make a good neck pillow for a long flight to Europe :) almost, but not quite maybe.