Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Successful Vacation

Zak & I just got back from a wonderful, week-long vacation in L.A. with my extended family.  And it went over very well, despite the sunburns and some drama.  But that's just how it goes.  I can't pick one favorite moment from the trip, so I will list some of them below.

-We got to play with all of my little cousins (ranging from 1 year to almost 7, 6 kids in total).  The little one year old girls, Julia & Iris were so adorable!  They had the cutest outfits and I got to hold them once or twice.  The older kids were just as cute, but more exhausting.  One night we were all on a walk and Zak & I were leading the pack.  Zak taunted the kids (Weston, 6; Madalynn, almost 7; Audri almost 5) by saying we were winning.  I guess Jenna & Allie didn't help, and we soon heard running little footsteps coming our way.  They ran ahead of us, and I had to use my bribery skills to get them to stop running away from us.  I told them they could have a treat if they stayed with me and Zak, however!, they had to talk to their mommies and have them decide when they could have their treat (because I am not going to let them have sugar at 9 PM and have my cousins get mad at me).  For the most part, they were very well behaved, just very energetic.  Little Audri rode on Zak's shoulders most of the time, while I talked to Weston & Madalynn about everything under the sun.  They are sweet kids, but we are only more resolved to not be parents anytime soon.  Oh, and the kids loved calling Zak "Sunburned Man".
We loved having the kids (and their lightsabers) play with us.
Caleb and Zak seemed matched in silliness and energy.
Julia was intrigued by Zak, as most babies are.

-All 32 of us went to the Cheesecake Factory for dinner and was it yummy!  Zak had steak and I got fish and it was great.  I had the new red velvet cheesecake (drool), Zak had the banana cream one.  It was definitely chaotic, but we had a good time.

-Our trip to Disneyland was great.  I was worried that Zak would crash early, but he did his best and stayed happy until the end or so.  My family goes from park opening to closing and we make the most out of it.  Zak hadn't been to Disneyland since he was like 8 or 9, and just isn't a Disney person, so I was worried he'd think we were all crazy.  But he had a really good time, from what I can tell.  It was a bit more crowded than the last year or so, and hotter, too!  But we went through Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion a few times to cool down.  Zak and I ate by ourselves at the River Belle Terrace place by Indiana Jones.  I've never been there, but it was pretty good!  Zak had BBQ pulled pork and I had a big roast beef sandwich.  It was nice to have some time alone together before regrouping with everyone.  Zak loved the Soarin' over California ride in California Adventure (it's a really great one), and I love the new California Screamin' in C.A. land as well.  There were some testy moments with the family (per usual), but I think everything went over well.  We left the park beat, with some sweets as souvenirs.

 
I am clearly the champion.
Zak got a turkey leg, and was as excited as I was when I got mine a few years ago.

-I got to see one of my old college roommates from two years ago and her cute little baby, Emma (and mother-in-law).  Emma's almost a year old and was so adorable.  It was her first time at the beach and she loved eating the sand.  Ali (her mom) would wipe her hands and mouth off clean, only to have Emma dig deep a few seconds later for more delicious sand.  She and Zak had a fun time together as well.  It was great so great seeing Ali after two years!
Ali with her almost one year-old, Emma

-Although Zak got sunburned a few times (and me as well), being on the beach was fun.  We got to play with the kids and swim for a bit.  I normally don't go in the ocean, but Zak likes swimming, so I went in to be with him.  The day I went in, the water wasn't as cold, so I enjoyed myself.  We also went swimming a few times in the motel's pool.  I used to be a mermaid, practically, with all the swimming I did when I was younger.  It was nice to play in the water with Zak, Jenna, and the little kids now and then.
 Jenna as a turtle and Zak ready to go to the beach!
Somebody got sunburned!
-My parents took us to see Toy Story 3, which was very fun and clever.  It was an impromptu outing, and it was nice to be together with just our little family.

-We went to the Getty Villa, which was awesome.  Their exhibit was about the Aztec Empire, which was pretty fascinating.  I also enjoyed seeing the old Roman and Greek statues, but my favorite room was of the old coins, gems and jewelry.  The grounds at the Villa were breathtaking and so peaceful.  We had a great time walking around and admiring the beauty of the Villa.
inner courtyard
Pretty Jenna in the gardens
So it was a very successful trip.  It was great seeing my whole family (minus only a few) again.  We really would love to go again next year, but we'll have to see if it can work out.  Hopefully it can because I love being down there!  Thank you to everyone who fed and took care of us, we had a great time!
the beautiful sunset over the pier :)


No comments: