Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Crafty

I have been rather crafty lately.  Aside from my current project of turning our huge number of wedding cards into scrapbooking material, I took on this little project for our kitchen.  Last month, Zak bought me a basil plant as a surprise gift (say it with me: awhhh).  At the time, the weather was lovely and we decided to put it in one of the planter boxes in the 'backyard'.  Then that huge storm from Alaska hit and we brought it inside.  Then it started to die, despite us watering it. 

Well the other day we were at the Co-Op, lusting after organic apples for $4.99/lb and overpriced pastries, we noticed a basil plant that was calling to us emotionally and financially.  We decided to give basil another try, but this time keep it inside, so we could control it easier and we'd always have basil.  Last week I was at Michael's getting deeply involved with scrapbook paper and whatnot (I am not a very good scrapbook person, and I try to not get interested in it because there is TOO MUCH stuff & I have bills to pay, but I splurged on an item or two) and bought a pot to put our plant it.  But the craft part of my brain wasn't sated with just A pot, and I soon found myself buying (in my defense, everything was on clearance/way on sale, so I am a smart shopper) paint and ribbon.

Sunday I painted the pot and the lid that goes on the bottom.  I originally painted the body of the pot white, but once I did the lip of it pink, the color started to get more and more intermixed with the white as I tried to make a line around the body in pink.  I called upon my (limited) artistic skills and just straight up mixed the colors so it has a sort of feathery look to the paint.  I don't know if you can see it in the pictures, but I actually really like it!  I had gotten this cute teal ribbon and my original plan was to put it around a white lip of the pot, but ah, I made it work. 

I think it turned out really cute & hopefully our plant will live long in its new, cute home!

all cute & ready to be a home

all ready!

happy basil in its new (& slightly dirty because I'm clumsy) home

No comments: