Sunday, January 29, 2012

Winter

Last week winter hit us, and it hit us hard.  In the period of like, twelve hours, we got at least a foot of snow.  Last Wednesday Zak ended up walking to and from school because we could not get the car out of our parking spot, let alone the parking lot.  The roads had not been touched since it has been snowing constantly, and it was still snowing hard.  Zak had quite the walk to school, as he had to forge the way most of the time.  I thought by the time it came for me to pick him up, the roads would be better or it would stop snowing, but I was wrong!  So Zak walked home and enjoyed the rest of his afternoon with me, snowed in.  U of I cancelled classes on Thursday, so Zak and I had a lazy, snuggly Thursday.  The snow had slowed down, but it was still snowing most of the time.  Zak ended up going into work for a few hours, by came home early.  I drank lots of cocoa and was grateful that our power only flickered a few times, and not go out, like some of our friends' had.

Friday it continued snowing hard, and it took us about 20 minutes to get the car out of its spot.  It had only moved once, when Zak went to work, and it was a difficult situation.  The guy plowing the snow had created a pretty big hill for me to back up over.  So we had to shovel and salt and shovel some more, and eventually, Zak helped push the car out!  It was scary getting out of the parking lot (why is it that parking lots are always, no matter what, awful? I don't understand why it's so difficult to keep them decent), but the rest of the roads were ok.

 A week later and almost everything has melted!  It feels almost too good to be true, as I'm sure it is.  But it's nice to drive places normally again.  Now we have rain, so whatever!

Other than that, our lives have been about the same.  We're getting adjusted to Zak's new school and work schedule.  At least his earliest class is at 8:30 and not at 8, like last semester!  His labs are in the morning or early afternoon, which is a nice improvement from his 7-10pm lab from last semester.  This weekend we are pig-sitting again for our friends, yay!  Chad will often bring him over when he comes to hang out.  We love having Hampton around!!

In other news, I am going to California in June for about a week!  Zak most likely won't be able to make it, especially if he gets this fire crew job--we have no idea what his schedule would be like.  If he can make it work, he'll come with me.  But we're both ok with me going by myself.  Plus, I get to fly out of Pullman, which will make it easier on Zak, not having to drive to and from Spokane twice.  I get to be in L.A. with my family, and my dad on Father's Day!  I'm excited--we couldn't make it to CA last year and I'm still having a bit of a hard time transitioning from that vacation.  And it'll be Kenny's first trip since he's been home from Sweden.  It's going to be a good trip.

Here are some pictures of the snow.  Blah.


from our bedroom

same location

our car on the right, after we failed to get it anywhere

the parking lot during a brief lull in the storm

while Zak was at work

No comments: