Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Gun

So Zak has been ruminating the idea to purchase a gun in his head for months.  This is just how he operates: he thinks about it, does some research, thinks about it some more, weighs the pros and cons, thinks, budgets it out, convinces himself, and then--tells me, which surprises me.  When he told me he had seriously thought about buying a gun and figured out the costs and logistics, I was definitely caught off guard and immediately wrote him off.  I was, and am, still kind of anti-gun.  I didn't grow up in a family where there were guns, never really liked the idea of having a gun, or the need.  And having lived in Idaho for the past few years, seems to have only solidified my position of not owning a gun, since everyone here has at least A gun, if not more.  And they are realllllly into their guns.

the gun. it has yet to be named.
Well, with that being said, Zak bought one anyways.  He used his Christmas money and bonus from work to buy the pistol, a "Ruger Security-Six".  Initially, I wasn't too pleased, because it happened too quick for me.  But once it happened, I did come to the realization that Zak would actually be a very responsible gun owner.  He's smart, and will teach me and our future kids about the dangers and safety precautions.  He won't be one of those redneck white trash people that live nearby, drunk and waving a gun in the air on July 4th.  So that helps me feel a bit better about having a gun in the house.  It's still a weird thought and difficult to adjust to, for me, at least.  He is thrilled about it.  And once he brought it home, I knew it was the gun for him.  It's totally his style, very sleek and simple.  I like that it doesn't have a clip, and that it's easy to check if it's loaded or not, there is a roll-out barrel with six slots for the bullets.  So that helps calm my nerves.  It's a nice looking gun and he's pleased with it.

look how happy he is to go shooting with the boys! and in his new vest!
He went shooting with his guy friends a few weeks ago.  Our friend Chad also bought a gun; I have no idea what type it is.  Their co-worker, Kandace's boyfriend Gabe has recently returned from his third tour in Iraq and has several types of guns and knows the area well.  So they took off and had a morning shoot out past town in the woods somewhere.  I was a little upset I didn't get to go the first time, but he told me they wanted to take me the next day.  I've never been shooting before, so I was a bit anxious.  And I was happy to have Kandace there with me, who hadn't shot a gun before, either.  

gun + bullets
We went to the same place the guys went the day before, about 20 minutes north of town, off some backwoods road, in a nice open area.  It was actually a very nice day, especially for January, temperatures about 45 degrees, clear blue skies with wisps of clouds, no snow or ice on the ground.  The boys bought some orange targets and set them up on an old tree stump for us to shoot at.  My reaction to shooting Zak's gun was interesting.  It didn't kick as much as I expected, but still enough to freak me out.  I was glad to have ear plugs in because it was way louder than I thought it'd be.  But it handled nice enough.  It wasn't bad.  Gabe brought (and I'm quoting), a "spring-field arms 1911 and .45 cal" and a "Smith and Wesson .40 cal".  We all took turns shooting the different guns.  The two Gabe brought kicked really hard and were a bit more frightening to shoot.  I wasn't a fan.  

shooting round 1
my first time, very concentrated
unsure of how I feel after my turn was up
posing only
the target on the right is all Zak
shooting some more
where we went shooting, on a very nice day!
Zak had a fun time.  He shot several near and in the bulls-eye on one target, so that was neat.  Kandace and I both shot all the guns, and decided Zak's was the nicest to shoot.  And after our afternoon of shooting, it didn't solidify or change my opinion about guns.  It was an experience, but it wasn't my favorite or least favorite thing in the world.  Zak's so cute, he bought a gun cleaning kit with a gift card and is meticulous about cleaning it, storing safely and now is looking online for a nice holster.  He tries to tell me that if he's working in the forest this summer, it will be helpful to have, in case of bears or large predators.  I still am not convinced, but whatever, right?  Zak has joined the circle of gun-owners and there's no going back.  I guess my only hope is to not let him get another one anytime soon, so we'll see how well that goes...

No comments: