Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Our California Christmas (part 2)

Well, once the Christmas festivities were over, we had a day off to relax a bit.  We headed over to Kohl's and  Costco and then us kids took Kenny's car and went to the mall briefly.  We also played some video games while Mom made a really delicious dinner: homemade chicken tenders and perfect onion rings.  They were amazing!  Then we watched a favorite movie of ours: O Brother, Where Are Thou? (my sister and father can quote the whole thing, more or less) and played cards for a few hours.  It was a nice, low-key day.  Especially since my mom had a bit of a cold and on Tuesday we were headed into the City.

my dad commissioned Zak to draw a shark and a unicorn fighting for Jenna. yes, he specified that the unicorn was the clear victor, but both animals had taken heavy damage. needless to say, she was thrilled.
delicious Costco hot dogs
Our day in San Francisco was fun, the weather was perfect and the shopping wasn't too awful.  Zak enjoyed briefly popping into the Rolex store and another fancy watch store.  I enjoyed shopping with my sister at Sephora for some fun make-up to use our gift cards on.  Zak also enjoyed going to this music/entertainment store called Rasputin's, there are a handful of them in California, and they are always huge and have tons of music, dvds, etc.  He was like a kid in a candy store.  It was nice to spend some time in the City, and not being rushed around too much.  Around 5, Dad met us and we got all pretty to head over to the fancy restaurant we go every year, L'Olivier.  It is an absolutely delicious French restaurant and a major treat for everyone.  Zak has been once before, two years ago, and wasn't as thrilled with his choice then, but this year he understood why we rave about it.  Everything was perfect, and it was so nice to be all pretty and dressed up, talking with all of my extended family.

Jenna excited to be near a shark balloon
Zak wanted a picture by the Rolex store
Jenna with Annalise
we're hoping that one of the many pictures we took will be nice enough to replace our last nice picture...
from when I was 15...this one looks good, right?
meeting Annalise for the first time, unfortunately she was a little fussy. but cute!
Zak was brave and decided to try the escargot for an appetizer.  He let a few of us have one, and let's just say that I checked that off my bucket list.  We're glad we tried them, but probably wouldn't get them again.  I had a delicious appetizer of baked brie, which I split with my brother to get some of his awesome crab cakes.  Zak and I also split french onion soup and a really good Caesar salad.  My cousin Grant and his wife Ali had their sweet baby along, Annalise.  She's about 5 months old and it was fun to see and interact with her.  For our entrees, we decided to go for steak, I got the filet mignon, and Zak had a New York, both of which were divine.  We tried to eat as slow as we could to savor the flavors.  For dessert we each got a souffle, because we figured we might as well get it at a French place, right?  Zak got the Grand Marnier, and I had the chocolate.  Both are good, and while Zak may think he chose the winner, I will beg to differ.  Stuffed, we drove home, happy and exhausted.

with those snails, after popping on into his mouth
pretty girls: Allie, Sasha, me, Jenna, Ali & sleeping Annalise
Sasha, me, Zak, Jenna & Allie eagerly waiting for food
Kenny, Jordan, Brandon & Matt looking handsome
Wednesday was my (24th) birthday!  We had creamed eggs on toast for breakfast and I opened some very nice gifts.  Zak got me a beautiful ruby ring with diamonds on either side; I totally was not expecting it, although he has told me many times he wanted to get me that ring.  Doy.  Jenna and Kenny got me some awesome mugs, a cute one with elephants on it, and a nice bug one with the S.F. city skyline on it.  My parents got me a nice, fancy rice cooker that I've already used since I've been home and love!  Wednesday flew by too quickly, in my opinion.  Around noon, I headed over to Jamba Juice to have a little chat with one of my friends from high school; it was so nice to see her, even if it wasn't that long.  After, us kids met up with our Robison cousins and went bowling for a little bit.  No one was super awesome, but Jenna wasn't exactly great. :)  It was just a goofy, fun time and I was happy to spend time with everyone.

Zak made me wear ALL of my diamonds
L-R: wedding/engagement ring, newest ruby & diamond ring (24th bday), diamond ring (20th bday), blue and white diamond ring (23rd bday) == fancy, lucky girl
We had a family dinner at Grandma's, which was absolutely amazing.  My parents have perfected this recipe my dad made years ago for a Priesthood cook-off night for church (and won), Macadamia Nut Chicken.  It's essentially marinaded chicken coated with breadcrumbs and crushed macadamia nuts, cooked.  But then there is a papaya-mango-pineapple marmalade that goes on top that is wonderful.  Add sides of macaroni salad, rice and broccoli, and you're good to go!  I invited Amy over to dinner, since I wanted to spend time with her/I love her.  It was awesome.  Everything was just great.  We all had a great time and I got some wonderful presents, including some more Disney movies to add to my collection, make-up and lotion, as well as this book I've wanted for awhile, The Art of the Disney Princess, and the first book of the Hunger Games [side note: I made my family tell me about these books, since I knew nothing about them, and then my aunt got it for me, and I read it in mere hours.  I then found the next two books on-line (because I couldn't wait for the ones I ordered with a gift card to arrive) and read them in like, a day and a half. Awesome trilogy/can't wait for the movie!].  We had chocolate roll and German chocolate cake for dessert and oh, everything was just the best.  I enjoyed talking with my grandparents and aunts, and cousins, and just everyone.  It was a pretty rockin' birthday.

this was taken right after we took a nice one, but Zak covered his face with a balloon at the last minute!
cousin (& friend) picture, L-R: Matt, Jordan, Brandon, Jenna, Zak, me, Kenny, Amy, Grant, Sasha, Allie -- almost everyone!
Thursday arrived way too quickly, and it was a bit upsetting.  But Zak and I cleverly got everything packed and figured out for carry-ons for the plane early on so we could play video games and have fun with my family.  And, for the final food send-off, my mom made my favorite appetizers: (from Cheesecake Factory) sweet corn tamale cakes.  They were better than the restaurant's, and, oh man, we were in heaven.  Just amazing.  I'm going to try making them once I get a food processor/the ingredients.  Delicious!  We briefly said good-bye to the Robison cousins and headed off to the airport.

the best appetizers in the world, oh yum!
my mom's dad used to make handles for boxes to carry on plane; she made one for the rice cooker and was so proud of it! it was awesome and survived the trip!
Our journey from there wasn't bad, we were expecting snow when we landed, but the roads were clear and aside from some rain, uneventful.  As sad as it was to leave California, it was nice to get home to our bed and little place.  But I haven't fully accepted us being back here yet, as I've only sort of put away laundry washed from the trip, and some of the presents.

We want to thank everyone, not just in California, but among our other family and friends, for such wonderful and thoughtful gifts.  We are lucky to have so many loving and caring people in our lives and are grateful for everyone.  We loved our time in CA and can't wait to visit, like always.  And thank you for all of the birthday cards and wishes for me, too!

No comments: