Sunday, July 17, 2011

Our Trip to CA: Saturday: Breakfast on Mt. Diablo + Others

We woke up around 8 or so, got ready and helped my grandparents load up their car for breakfast. We have been having breakfast on Mt. Diablo for years and years, usually once or twice in the summer, and it is a lot of fun. I don't even mind the dirt and the outside, because we have the best breakfast: buttermilk pancakes, bacon, eggs, juice, the works. And where we go (we have the best luck, no one has ever been there when we arrive, so it's always 'our spot') has a beautiful overlook of the area. I haven't been for a few years, and Zak had never gotten the chance to do it, so I pushed to go a few weeks ago, when we were deciding what to do for the week.

our view, not bad, huh?

setting up, waiting for the rest of the family

what a goof

the rest rooms where we throw rocks at when someone's in there (traditions, they are fun)

Kenny was pretty excited

Anyways, we helped the grandparents and then drove up the windy mountain road and got to our spot. It wasn't too warm just yet, but it did heat up eventually. Zak enjoyed climbing the trees, walking around the paths; he even saw a lizard! And I was actually very happy to be there, and even said I'd go hiking, if he wanted to. That's love, people. The same group from the night before (with the exception of one or two) met up with us and the men started cooking. I personally don't know how it started, but I have always remembered my dad, uncles and grandpa cooking all of the food. No one seems to complain, and it's always delicious. There's nothing like Grandma's buttermilk pancakes, crisp bacon and eggs with syrup over everything. It was delicious and everyone was having fun.

Dad & Grandpa getting food going

ready for food!

delicious foods!

And then they wanted to go up into the tree, again. The boys have always been into climbing trees, and I used to do it now and then, when I was younger. I haven't been up in a tree in years; somebody's gotta look cute on the ground, next to the tree, right? But we've been taking family pictures by this tree with the cousins up in the tree for years. So of course we couldn't not do it, now with the addition of Kenny after two years. It was actually pretty fun and everyone was a good sport about it. As you might have guessed, there was a lot of pictures happening this whole week, especially with the 6 of us, all together.


this is a cute one

Zak, Kenny, Jenna, me, Allie, Matt

the whole family (that was there)

our little family 1

2

Zak enjoyed the "king" chair, complete with foot rest

all 13 cousins used to sit on this low branch when we were little, I made them take this picture for memory's sake

After everyone had 6 pancakes, 8 slices of bacon and plenty of eggs (exaggeration), I voted for our car to go to the summit, since I hadn't been up there in awhile, and I knew Zak would find it interesting. We used to hike out to this giant rock, and I had even pumped myself up to do that this year, but no one was in the mood, which was ok with me! Being on the summit of Mt. Diablo is really neat, because you can see the Bay Area everyone. If it's clear enough, you can even see Half Dome in Yosemite National Park (about 3? hours away from our place). It wasn't very clear when we were there, but we still have beautiful views of the area. The little museum was open, and there was all kinds of geological information that Zak loved to read about. I didn't even remember the museum, so it was fun for me, too.

the best picture, oh well

Zak realllly wanted to touch the scavenger squirrel, hahaha

the view of Concord/Clayton

We then went back to my parent's place to decide what to do then. I volunteered to go to Costco, since I love it, to help shop for food for Kenny's homecoming luncheon after church the next day. So we ended up all at Costco; Kenny and Jenna were itching for new phones, and I went over to see if there was any free phone I could get. My phone has been a nuisance for the past 6 months, and I was due for an upgrade. So there was a free phone that wasn't awful, so all of a sudden, I had a new phone. Kenny and Jenna both settled on some fancy HTC one, which is actually super neat, but I decided I didn't need it.

Mom played some songs on her ukulele, she was so cute!

My parents bought a new couch. Apparently they've been thinking of getting a new one for awhile, and my mom loved this set at Costco and had been pining for it for awhile. She even had us sit on the one she liked and others, to get our opinions. We all agreed on the one that they eventually bought. Plus, it was the only one in the store, so it was a quick decision. The three guys ended up getting a U-Haul truck and moving the three huge boxes to our place, while the rest of us shopped for food. We got back from that and the boxes were sitting on our walkway, waiting to be brought in. But I don't think anyone was planning on getting the couch that day, so there wasn't exactly room for the couch to go just yet. But we cleaned and cleaned and made room, and a few hours later, the guys hauled in the boxes and got it 95% set up. We eventually had dinner and prepped food for the luncheon, but it was a long, exhausting day.

the couch just waiting to be brought into the house

they had to bring it in through the backyard, ha

And then we had to get up at 5 the next day...

No comments: