Monday, August 23, 2010

Jenna's Visit

My little sister came to visit us last week.  It was so much fun having her around!  She just turned 16 and is the only one at the house, so I know she enjoyed being around me & Zak.  She got into Spokane a little behind schedule, but that didn't deter us one bit. We stayed up playing games and watching Arrested Development. For the most part, we spent the day together (I switched shifts w/people at work in order to spend time with her, Zak worked a few days), watching AD or doing some project or eating.  Or a combination of all three.  My favorite project was something I had gotten months before from work and was dying to share them with her: piggy banks to decorate (we are 'piggy sissas', which started with our shared love of the Beatles' song 'Piggies' and then evolved from there)!  The piggies turned out very cute, as you can see.
 one side of mine
Jenna showing off her pig's glittery bum
oink oink
piggy sissas

One day we decided to have an impromptu picnic in the park.  I made delicious sub sandwiches and had grapes, chips and cookies in the park.  My favorite part culminated with Zak rolling up Jenna in our picnic blanket.
about to enjoy the food
a pretty good story through pictures

Jenna and I also made some necklaces with some fun charms I had found on etsy.  We also spent some time at Michael's picking out a few extras.  It was a fun activity, and they turned out pretty well.
                            one of the necklaces I did                                           Jenna's
we also did children's clearanced mosaics
and Jenna colored these wooden animals that represent her in our family

We also went shopping at the mall when Zak was there working one night.  We hit up Old Navy and of course, Macy's and ended up with some great buys.

We also ate a lot of delicious food.  We had chicken skewers one night, yummy homemade burgers the other night, pasta with spaghetti and cream sauce, coconut curry chicken, blueberry coffee cake, among others.  I love cooking and enjoyed having another person around to feed (less leftovers, haha).
burger night, yum!
color foods  (char sui, blue rice, zucchini & green beans)

Zak and Jenna enjoyed fighting/antagonizing/playing together.  It was definitely nice to have a break from all of that.  They are so funny together and just make me laugh.  Zak also gave Jenna a sweet (his word) tattoo on her arm the night before we took her to the airport.  All three of us used some temporary tattoos Jenna had (dinosaurs and butterflies), which were awesome.  It was nice to just be goofy and carefree, which is how I feel when I'm with Jenna.
 left-handed wrasslin'
comparing our hamster to a chicken nugget
Jenna's
mine - I like to pretend they're yelling at each other
Zak's are fighting vertically
giving her a tattoo
yes, he spelled it wrong (he didn't think to ask me)

It was a very fun week and it was sad to see her go, but we loved having the time we did have with her.  She is a very smart, adorable and fun young lady and it's crazy to me that she is already 16 and a junior in high school.  I'm not fond of that, but if anyone can handle the drama of high school, it's my sister.  Mom and Dad, thank you for giving up your baby for a week (& trusting her with us, ahaha) and Jenna, thanks for coming to visit.  It was so nice to have you here, you are such a person and I love being your older sister and perhaps smothering you sometimes. :)
 she is putting ketchup from a packet on her fries. this is why we are sisters.

(It's times like these that I really miss my family and being home in CA.  Boo.) 

No comments: