Thursday, August 11, 2011

Camping Inside & Rachel gets a Job

A few weeks ago, we talked about going camping for the few days Zak had off of work. But then we decided to just camp inside because there was a thunderstorm. It was fun; we moved the furniture and set up the tent and got all the blankets out. But then around 2 AM we woke up and decided that the air mattress wasn't super comfortable and went upstairs to our comfy bed.



I got a job! Two weeks ago, Zak was talking to the manager of the pizza place in the mall (Smoky Mountain Pizzeria Grill), who mentioned they were looking for some new people. The next day Zak & I went in and filled out an application, and when I turned it into the manager, he said he'd call me later about setting up a time to do paperwork, and that I'd be the hostess, starting off at part-time for the moment. It was so sudden and almost difficult to believe, but there it was! So a few days later I went in and filled out all the papers and talked to him about the job. So far I'm working part-time as a hostess, and most likely getting full-time soon (Rush for the colleges starts next week, the week after both universities start back up, so I'll be working a lot more), and eventually will be a server. I'm a bit nervous about being a server, but I'm glad that, so far, my job is pretty easy at the moment. I basically stand around, look pretty, seat customers and help bus tables or roll silverware, tidy up if it needs to be done. My only complaint is that I have to wear a black polo and tan pants, yuck. And I have to cover up my nose ring. I put my diamond stud back in, and just cover it up with a band-aid for the few hours I work.

It's nice to be back in the mall and close to Zak, scheduling will be easier with both of us working there. And everyone I've met so far is really helpful and nice and easy to get along with. And they've been patient with me, not only because I'm new, but I'm also new to the food service industry. So I'm not complaining, because a job is a job. I'm still going to see if maybe I can find another part-time job in the future.

Other than that, our gladiolus bulbs I got from Wal-Mart and planted in May are finally flowering! I planted them on a whim, not expecting too much, but lo and behold, most of them grew up nicely! We've had some pretty pink ones, as well as purple, and right now there is a new yellow one and a beautiful white one. I'm happy! But in other garden news, our vegetables really aren't doing well. This summer was weird, we had cold snaps and then heat waves, so maybe next year we'll stick to all flowers.




Coming up on the next blog entry: our anniversary in Seattle! Keep on the look-out for it!

No comments: