Monday, August 29, 2011

Busy Bees

Well we have survived Zak's first week back to school after a two-year absence. So far, so good. This semester he is taking Stats, Chemistry (with a lab), Econ, and Forestry (with a lab as well). His schedule is a little irregular, but I made up calendars and all kinds of useful reminders so we can get into some sort of rhythm. He says classes are going fine, they're not super exciting, but he's happy to be in school and all of that. It looks like his work schedule will be closing Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, and either opening or closing on Saturdays. His labs are Thursday and Friday and so far we have been able to get everywhere we need to with one car and/or walking. Once it's not 100 degrees every day for a week, I'm sure he'll be much more up to walking or riding his bike. And once I'm working more, he'll be doing the same as well.

Work for me has been ok. The back-to-school rush was...alright. I had one night (a Monday, I believe) were I was the only hostess, so I was running around for 4 hours seating people, busing tables, etc. It's a lot less crazy when there is another hostess or a busboy, so that made the weekend nights tolerable. I'm hoping to get more hours soon, but there have been a bunch of new hires, so scheduling is up in the air. But everyone is really nice and fun to work with. And I'm getting the hang of almost everything, so I'm feeling pretty confident. We found me a clear, thin nose ring I can use on the days I work, so I don't have to put a band-aid over the piercing or take it out. Since it's been so sensitive to change, I'd rather have something in the hole than not, and no one has said a thing about the new clear one. So that's good.

Yes, it's been about 100 degrees every day for the past week and a half. We finally got a break last night we a major thunderstorm, but it didn't rain as much as we hoped. This has been the only week where I've seriously considered air conditioning, because the two fans have been going almost non-stop and it's been just miserable. It's supposed to cool off in the next few days, but it has been rough the last week or so. We are super ready for fall already!

That's been our life for the past few weeks. We're doing alright with the school adjustment, I'm trying my best to not be a nag about Zak and his homework, but he has a good work ethic and gets what he needs to done. Zak's birthday is in a few weeks, we are getting ready for that. I'm just trying to finalize on a gift idea for him, he is a very practical guy who doesn't want or need a lot of things, so I get to be creative with my presents for him. Unfortunately, his birthday is on a Thursday, and he has a late lab that night (7-9:50), but we'll try to make it a good day for him.


I came home from a really exhausting day at work to these beautiful flowers from Zak!

I'm not really a huge fan of dyed/weird color daises, but this arrangement was really beautiful and cheered me up! Plus, those big orange flowers that I don't know the name of? Gorgeous, they're my new favorites! I love the color gradient

We had our friends, Chad & Bryan over for dinner and I thought it was so cute that the silly dollar store place mats I got matched the flowers!

No comments: