Sunday, October 31, 2010

Yay, our first major maintenance problem!

AUGH.  This morning I woke up around 4 or 5 to use the restroom, came back to bed and right as I was falling asleep, I heard just loud DROP DROP DROP DROP DROPDROPDROPDROPDROPDROP.  I couldn't figure out what was causing that noise, because it was louder than just hearing rain against the window.  So I sleepily got out of bed and turned on some lights, and lo and behold, the door frame in the second bedroom was dripping water.  I didn't know what else to do, so I grabbed some towels to put on the floor and tried to go back to sleep.  Granted, I was mostly asleep, so I didn't think to tell Zak, and besides, it was like 5 AM, what could he have done?

Well, Zak woke up around 8, and I mumbled to him that the door frame had been dripping.  He got up to look and I could tell from his tone that something was wrong.  The towels I had put down were soaked all the way through, and water was starting to gather in the carpets.  It looked like the water was dripping down the wall in our linen closet and quickly dispersed.  Zak quickly got into action and moved stuff away from the walls.  But then we came downstairs...

Half of the tile in the kitchen was covered in water, about a centimeter deep.  Just a big, glistening lake in the middle of the floor.  It was a bit overwhelming because I was thinking, 'HOW are we going to clean this up?'  Thankfully, nothing was damaged (his computer was on the half of the table not covered in water), but we moved everything away and placed some buckets and pitchers down to collect the water falling off of the light fixtures.  I used our remaining two paper towel rolls and placed them down on the floor while Zak called our landlord.  She said she would send over the maintenance guy soon.

What a lovely morning, n'est-ce pas?  Needless to say, we are pretty on edge and are dreading the cleanup, especially upstairs.  Here are some pictures and I'll update* if anything else happens.  Happy Halloween, everyone!

 upstairs bedroom

before & after paper towels
at least we have a lot of things to collect water falling from the ceiling in?

*UPDATE:  The maintenance guy just drained a LOT of water from off/on/in the roof.  I recorded some video of it, because the noise was so loud and it went on for a good 10 minutes.  Also, the stream of water was impressive.  I said to Zak, 'You never think of water being so destructive, until you see SO MUCH OF IT at one time.'  We then used the wet-dry vacuum (16 gallon capacity), and Zak filled about a third of it up.  The cleaning crew came and got out about 90% of the water.  He said our place happened to get most of the water, a few other tenants got some as well, but we were the majority share holder.  They left a big black fan that's blowing on the carpets, and hooked up our box fan as well.  They will be back tomorrow, and maybe a few days after that.  Here are some more pictures and the videos.


so much water
Zak got about 5 gallons out of the carpet

I know it's not much to look at, I took this one for the noise






No comments: