Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Watercolor 'art'

Due to some popular demand, I decided to take pictures of the watercolor paintings I have created this semester.  Some I really do like, but others...yikes.  Below each picture I'll label what I was supposed to have done for the painting.  Just remember that I am (seriously) no artist, and that I only needed a passing grade for this class.  This was my first time with watercolor and for the most part, I enjoyed it...until I got to class and saw some amazing pieces other students had done.  Oh well.  I know I'm no artist, but at least the suffering is over!

same design, each in a different type of wash (L-R): Flat, Graded, Mingled

first piece

quadratic harmony 'copy' piece--I don't really like this except for the awesome reeds in the water in the lower right 

pulling towards neutral...I really like doing these kinds of exercises

darks

complementary color piece, not a fan of the composition, but it's an improvement from an earlier piece

this was supposed to be darks, but whatever...my teacher 'helped' (I guess?) with that 'shadow of a tree' 'S' shape on it...oh and I used salt on the gravel/stairs to give it texture [P.S. I used a reference picture that my friend Sarah took while in Salzburg, Vienna for this]

hers is clearly better

leaving whites...I used a picture I took in Vienna for this, but changed it to a panda:


I actually did this one as an alternate for leaving white, but I didn't end up turning it in.  It's of Sacré-Cœur, in Paris.  The black is all sharpie...Below is the reference photo I used (that I took!):


UGH I hate this piece, it's stains (layering yellow, rose, blue).  It did not turn out the way I envisioned it.

delicate triad: quinacridone rose, azo yellow, cobalt blue

'copy' piece

I saw this and really liked it, so I decided to go for it, turns out this Asian style was really good for me (thanks, Eastern Asian Art History class!) p.s. that's a crane, and it's written in Chinese

my teacher had me do the crane again, but as a texture piece. I did the wash and then put plastic wrap over it and let it dry, to get that fun texture. Zak said it looks like Mt. Fuji in the background

my final--a henna tattoo inspired peacock, with it written in Chinese

matted with a 3" frame...didn't fit exactly right, but oh well

No comments: