Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Apple Adventure // 100th Post!

This is the 100th post on this blog, whoo!

Zak and I had a day off together this weekend and we decided to go to an orchard I'd heard about to pick apples.  I grew up getting apples every fall with my family and have sorely missed the tradition, so when my friend told me about this place, I thought it would maybe help fill the void.  We went to this place about 40 minutes away, in Garfield, WA.  It was a small orchard, with several types of apples, and even pears and plums.  And cider presses! 

I saw that there was cider pressing on the weekend, but wasn't sure what that entailed.  The website said to bring jugs and boxes, so we brought a few gallons jugs for cider.  I thought we would just fill them up with cider readily available, but we ended up pressing the apples ourselves!  One of the owners explained it to us, and I will admit it sounded a little intimidating at first, but once we got down to it, it was pretty easy!  And fun.  We pressed two gallons full and then go to apple picking.  We grabbed a bunch of different types of apples, about 10 pounds' worth.  Then I made us some apple crisp, and it was wonderful.  All in all, a very nice day spent together, having fun.  Here are pictures!

Garfield, it's a small little town

You were expecting this, right?

People pressing cider

Our 'private suite'

The people supplied the apples for us

Turning the handle to crush the apples

Being manly and the like

Pouring our cider into our jugs

The apples after being smushed

Our view

Yum yum yum, best cider ever!

Smushing the apples

Apple carcasses

Pretty trees in the orchard

Being tall was an advantage

Posing with apples, naturally

No comments: